How To Make Most Of Your Conference
Attending a Conference? Read these five tips first
Industry Conferences are purposely designed to deliver maximum information in a minimum amount of time.
With so much going on from keynote speeches and themed sessions to work shops and demos it’s important to plan your time.
Here are five tips to help:
• Check who’s going - Don’t go in blindly leaving meetings to chance, ask to see a list of confirmed attendees a few days before hand. If there are people you’d like to hook up with, follow them on social media sites such as Twitter and LinkedIn then suggest a breakfast meeting or grabbing a coffee while you’re there.
• Cherry-pick the best bits - Unless you can magically clone yourself attending everything is impossible - select only the most relevant chunks of the agenda to attend.
Conferences are fertile ground for building and rekindling business relationships. If you have some down time, arrange to meet up with a new contact or important client, especially if they are based far away or in another country.
• Pay it forward - The whole point of a conference is to give you the inside track on what’s coming up in your industry and juicy pointers to get ahead.
After each presentation distil what you have learnt into brief notes. If there are specific tips relevant to you and your colleagues’ area of work pass it on, together with copies of the presentation material. This way everyone benefits.
• Everything in moderation - It’s easy to overindulge at a conference. If it’s a stay over, avoid the temptation to drink the bar dry by making the most of the venue’s amenities. Aside from excellent conference rooms, Lane End has a range of great leisure facilities, including a modern purpose-built gym, outdoor fitness trail and five-a-side football pitch.
Why not head to the gym or challenge someone to a quick circuit of the grounds?
• Mark-up Business Cards - Don’t dismiss the business cards you collect to a lonely office drawer, go through and mark up the people you would like to follow up with and how. Plan to make contact within a week.
Looking for a great dedicated conference centre in the South East? Try award-winning Lane End Conference Centre.
Leave a comment
No posts found, be the first!